Monday, January 18, 2010

Budget Update and Weekly Menu

Bread is cooling on the stove. The house is filled with the smell of yeast and grain. All the windows are open to let in the sunny air and sounds of birds. It's a beautiful day.

My favorite meal this week was creamy parmesan polenta cakes with turkey-artichoke heart pasta sauce. The parmesan polenta recipe came from Moosewood Cookbook. The turkey pasta sauce was inspired by Joy of Cooking. See below for a recipe if you're interested. (No picture yet; I'm still not in the habit of photographing my food, but I'm trying to remember to do so.)

We didn't end up making stuffed cabbage. We weren't in the mood for it, so we made a fresh broccoli-cabbage slaw inspired by Gluten-Free Girl and The Chef. We didn't have brussels sprouts or Napa cabbage, so I used endive, radicchio, and green cabbage instead, and added julienne carrots (1 carrot) and toasted sunflower seeds (3 TBSP). I followed their dressing recipe exactly. We served it with rice pilaf and sauteed mushrooms. Delicious.

Alright, so we're over our budgeting goal for January. I'm at $638 for this month. We ran out of some essentials: butter, almond butter, and eggs. I also bought mozzarella cheese (I'm having a pizza craving) potatoes, olives, apples, and raspberry and blueberry jams.

Here's what I'm noticing about our new budget, health goals, and attempt to do a monthly shopping trip:

*It has inspired me to cook everything from scratch. So far I haven't opened a package, jar, or can in two weeks, except for the bags of frozen food in the freezer, our almond butter and jam, and some mayonnaise and mustard for a salad (although, as soon as the mayonnaise is gone, I'm going to start making ours from scratch...and I'm thinking I should do the same with the jam). The creative process of cooking from recipes and from instinct has been a total joy.

*I have discovered the incredible pleasure of making and eating warm, homemade tortillas. I love the way the dough feels in my hands when I roll it out on a lightly dusted counter top, and the way the tortilla peels off the surface of a hot pan.

*I've been baking a great deal: GF breads, cookies, muffins, crumbles. It's part seasonal (I always bake more in the winter than any other time of year), and partly because I've committed to making everything from scratch.

*I love dessert. It makes me happy to sit down at the end of a long day and dig into a warm dish of apple-blueberry crumble. Amy over at Dish inspired me to make an apple pie that I hope will taste as good as hers looks.

*It's easier to create weekly recipes based on what you have, rather than what you plan to buy. My weekly CSA box deliveries shape our weekly menu, in addition to what I know I already have in the cupboards and freezer.

*I think we need to bump up our CSA delivery box contents to the Family size, which is designed for a family of four. The Standard size (what we receive now) is designed for two adults and a small child. I thought it would be perfect for us, but because our family lives for good produce and fruit, I think we need a bit more. That will bump us up to $160/month on produce.

*Next month I'm going to try going to the store either weekly or biweekly, but limiting my total grocery purchases to $400, if possible, resulting (hopefully) in a total monthly bill of $560.

*We've only gone out to eat once this month. Brian has nearly stopped going out to lunch at work. One of the main reasons is that we're keeping our budget at the forefront of our minds. The second biggie is that the meals we're eating are adequately diverse, both in content and level of food prep complexity.

*Lastly, I've been conscious about how cooking food from scratch energizes me creatively. I rarely feel depleted after making a good meal.

This week's CSA delivery will include:
1 bunch Broccoli
1 pound Roma Tomatoes
2 Romaine Lettuce
2 Yellow Onions *
1 Bunched Carrots
1 pound Zucchini
1 each Collard Greens
4 each D'anjou Pears *
4 each Navel Oranges
4 each Cameo Apples *
2 each Hass Avocados
4 each Braeburn Apples *
*Grown in the Northwest.

Here's our weekly menu:

Monday:
Leftover lentil soup, kale and wild rice salad, and fresh-baked bread.

Tuesday:
Coconut curry with zucchini, red potatoes, onions, and chick peas, served over a bed of quinoa.

Wednesday:
Burritos with homemade GF flour tortillas, cumin black beans, roasted Mexican brown rice, black olives, lettuce, jack cheese, lime tomato salsa, and guacamole.

Thursday:
Baked russet potatoes with melted cheddar cheese, spinach, and caramelized yellow onions, and a salad.

Friday:
Pizza with homemade GF crust, homemade tomato-artichoke-Parmesan sauce, mozzarella, olives, Roma tomatoes, Italian chicken sausage, and onions, and a Caesar salad.

Saturday:
Homemade GF egg fettuccine with roasted broccoli, roma tomatoes, with a browned butter OR an olive oil herb OR an alfredo-style sauce. (I'm excited to try this, I've never made fresh pasta before.)

Sunday:
Baked rice, broiled chicken, and collard greens.


Turkey Pasta Sauce
Olive oil
3-4 small garlic cloves
1 lb ground turkey
1 large yellow onion
3 carrots, diced
3-4 small stalks celery, including the tops, diced
7-8 fresh or frozen roma tomatoes, with skin and seeds, quartered
10 artichoke heart quarters (I used frozen)
1/2 cup tomato sauce OR 1-2 TBSP tomato paste
1/2-3/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1 TBSP dried Italian seasoning, or more, to taste
1 tsp poultry seasoning, or more, to taste
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Brown the turkey and set aside. Drizzle a generous portion of olive oil in the pan. Add chopped onion and garlic. Saute for several minutes. Add carrots and celery and saute until nearly soft. Add browned turkey, Italian and poultry seasonings, and several generous grounds of fresh pepper. Cook for several minutes before adding tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce or paste, a pinch of salt, and more pepper. Simmer for 2-3 hours, salt to taste, add artichoke hearts, and simmer for about 10-15 more minutes. (Can be ready within an hour, but the flavors mingle best with more time.)

3 comments:

oma said...

you are a marvel! i haven't looked at the blog for a few weeks and you've done such an amazing amount of writing. and cooking! i'm eating a quick and delicious lunch of leftovers and was perfectly content with my plate of food, but your weekly menus are so inspiring and drool-inducing. i so look forward to the day when the babe stops cluster-feeding in the evenings and i can really get back in the kitchen. i hope that little fetus is behaving itself and not causing you any more worry. see you soon?

AmyDishes said...

you are inspiring me!

this weekend, when sitting down to my normal Sunday schedule of sipping coffee and dashing out a grocery list, i planned out my meals for the week.

now, i've been planning for "the week" for quite some time. but somehow that "week" translates to Mon-Thurs - i always leave weekends empty for "spontaneous" meals out (not really spontaneous if i plan for them, but i am mighty good at tricking myself). and then bust our budget, when at least 1-2 could've been made just as well (if not better) at home.

this week's menu calendar still has Fri & Sat open (a girl has to start somewhere), but we've now planned and shopped for Sun. it's a start!

Dream. Imagine. Happen said...

Thanks Oma and Amy!

Oma, I remember those days of night feedings...and it's pretty impossible to do much else except that! I'm looking forward to catching up with you and hearing all about your adventures with motherhood. Hopefully we'll get to do that soon.

Amy, that's awesome! I'm excited to hear about your results--and will be keeping up with you on your blog to get inspired about our own meals. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails