Monday, January 26, 2009

Friendly people make me happy

B and I didn't sleep very well last night, it seems he's coming down with Cora's cold now, so the night was punctuated by fits of sneezing and lots of tossing and turning. We awoke this morning with bags under our eyes and Oh, it's Monday again already? sentiments.

After a very fussy morning in which I discovered that Cora is cutting a new molar, we headed out the door for a wintery, sunny walk around Green Lake. We've managed to get out for a walk around the lake everyday except yesterday, which has been awesome. It's another spectacular day. Snow, frost, iced puddles, and bright blue sky. As I was packing Cora into her stroller, I noticed another baby in a matching stroller two cars down, his mom getting him all set up. We were both going through the cold day moves: here's your hat, here are your mittens, here are my gloves, wait let me put on my hat, let me zip your coat, let's make sure we remember our keys, are you warm enough? As she was walking by I asked how old her baby was--4 months. Suddenly I missed that little size, those sleepy eyes, the infant car seat stroller setup where you can stare down at your baby the whole time. I asked if she was back to work and she said no, she was at home with him but that it was still a strange transition for her, not making a paycheck and figuring out a new rhythm. We struck up a little conversation and then parted ways. I sort of walked along feeling happy I'd had this nice exchange but also thinking that I was too open, too chatty and exuberant, one of those people you meet and are like Oh geez, I actually just came here to keep my head down and my nose warm, do you mind hurrying along? I have been wanting to meet a few more moms who are at home with their babies, it would be nice to enjoy a bit more of that camaraderie and shared schedules.

Cora enjoyed most of the walk but broke down by the end. After swinging and running around the park, it was time to head home which made her very unhappy. It's the first time in a long while I've had to put a sad, crying Cora into her car seat and just start driving, making promises of tasty lunch and story time ahead. She wanted none of it. I was feeling frazzled and tired when I saw this little scrap of paper under my windshield wiper. I pulled over and lifted it out: "Dear Cora and Mommy, if you'd ever like some company on a walk around the lake, give us a call," with their names and phone number below. I felt so grateful, it totally made my day. It's so unusual for people to do stuff like that. Friendly people make me happy.

1 comment:

oma said...

this is a wonderful story. i love moments that restore your faith in humanity's basic decency. i hope they're a great match for you two.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails