Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Rolling along

This week is better than last. I sort of fell off the apple cart and rolled under a tree. But I feel as if we have re-established a cadence, Cora and I, that works best when I make sure to write. That's one of the chief reasons I have felt so foggy lately, I think. It was the holidays, and then there was snow, and then Cora's nap schedule was thrown off, and then I felt more interested in talking with B while he was home, and then I got in touch with a bunch of old friends through facebook, and then I got sick, and then it was the weekend and finally, yesterday, we started the week with a firm shake: Well shoot, we might as well do something interesting with ourselves. That's where I am reminded of the importance of just doing it, for crikey sake. Publishing silly posts, writing something, anything, even if it's bad, just to keep the momentum going. It's different with the story I'm writing. I hesitate to do that, otherwise I might make a bunch of wrong turns and the story would just sort of rot in the middle and I'd get lost and wouldn't be able to figure out the ending.

I think, maybe, I'm getting close to the end with the story. I just wrote what could, potentially be the last paragraph but I'm not sure it's satisfying enough. It's about 15 pages single spaced, which is a rather long short story, and I have been wondering whether its really a novella or a confused novel, or whether I'm just having a hard time plucking out a few moments in time and leaving all the other stuff up to the imagination.

Cora is changing so much. I am finally getting more used to her words, realizing how easy it would be to fail completely at plucking meaning from the babble. She says something all the time that sounds like pasta, but I have no idea what it is. I can't imagine trying to say things for the first time, wondering if I'm using my tongue correctly, pursing my lips accurately. Today I asked her to say cheese and she said "sheeeez." She said "baple" for apple and she refused to say cheesy bread. She loves to say ball. She says dod instead of dog, and often just refers to them as woof. I don't know why it's never occurred to me until now, but that's pretty good articulation considering she has six teeth.

Speaking of which, she doesn't take 2-hour naps anymore, she's more on a 1-hour schedule and she's in there yapping about pasta or aaasta or blasta, so I should go now. :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails