Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cookies and nautical adventures

I wanted to share a very quick and easy cookie recipe that I made for Cora the other day. The time-consuming part is having to bake some of the ingredients ahead of time. I have been wanting to make a healthy, well-rounded snack that doesn't contain any add'l sugar or unnatural flavors, etc.. All the ingredients are organic. I didn't measure anything, but that's the nice thing about this recipe, it's open to experimentation. It's meant to be fairly free of any allergens, but you could add chopped nuts, dried fruit, nut butters, trail mix, shredded coconut, cinnamon or nutmeg, vanilla or chocolate chips, etc., if you wanted to make it tastier for an older child:

4 small yams (skin on), baked until very soft
1 large apple (skin on), baked until soft
1 banana, ripe (doesn't need to be super ripe, just regular is fine)
1/2 cup raisins, cooked in vanilla rice milk until tender
About 2 cups oats (probably more)
2-3 T maple syrup
2-3 T rice syrup
1 tsp baking soda
2 T tahini (sesame butter)
2 T margarine

Preheat oven to 350. Remove skins from the yams. Mash yams, apple, and banana to a soft puree. Add raisins and mash. Add maple syrup, rice syrup, margarine and tahini. I made the cookies while the yams and apples were still quite warm, so the butter melted and the wet ingredients seemed to incorporate easily. After all wet ingredients are mixed thoroughly, add oats and baking soda slowly, adding more oats if necessary to create a "batter" that is moist (but not overly sticky) and easy to handle. Spoon by rounded teaspoonful onto a greased cookie sheet and flatten into rounds. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cooked--firm, golden, but not too crusty. Let cool on a plate.

My mom is taking care of Cora this morning. Cora lights up when she arrives. She's obsessed with mom's purse and her keys, and will remove and replace her keys millions of times without tiring, each time announcing "keys." They are planning to visit Mockingbird Books this morning, a very cute little bookstore near Green Lake that's been open for about six months. It has a big train set, a piano, a giant giraffe, and a chalkboard table that kids love to draw on. They have story time at 11 every morning except Sunday.

I'm tucked away in our neighborhood coffee shop, enjoying a big cup of black tea. I want to start a new story this week. I've been planning to write about a nearly-retired marine biologist/sailor man. I sat down at the only available table at the shop and set up my computer, got my tea and snuggled down for the morning. As I was logging on, I noticed that I was sitting across from a man who was reading Coastal Tides and Nautical Measurements. He was an older man with a beard and glasses, grey flecked hair, and a weathered face. I decided it was clearly a sign. :)

1 comment:

Brian said...

I know a man who spent his life following krill migrations around the globe, he's battled 30 foot waves, white squalls and has swam with Russians in Antarctica. He wrote email letters to his wife while we was away and they were so interesting and full of adventure she forwarded them on and we all read them around the dinner table.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails